The Immortals :: Forums :: Public Forums :: PC Bytes > ePeens

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
New computer, not sure,
Moderators: Nemeses, Blounty, Sengar, Bobricka, The Immortals
Author Post
Altivo
Thu Mar 01 2012, 01:01PM
Registered Member #671
I had another topic, but that was an old 1, i waited now for the new Hardware coming out.
and i think this will be a nice setup, but i also heard storys going around, that we get soon Nvidia GTX 680 and the 690. and the 22nm socket MOBO and CPU.

what do you guys know about this?

This is my currently setup:

I will add 1 SSD card of 240gb or 2x 120 GB SSD card.

Dist
Thu Mar 01 2012, 02:16PM
Registered Member #456
The 22nm CPUs by intel are their new Ivy-Bridge range: click

They use socket LGA1155 so any current motherboard that uses LGA1155 can make use of the new ivy-bridge cores with a firmware update. That being said though, intel are also releasing their new chipset at the same time, so far not much specifics have been released other than that it has integrated USB3.0, and since it is released at the same time it means the motherboards should support the new cores right away instead of potentially waiting for a firmware update. All your other parts you could just transfer into this new motherboard unless you want to upgrade them too.

As for the SSD, I don't know enough about them but I HIGHLY recommend checking the SSD decoder on pcper.com to help pick a make/model as their storage expert at pcper is one of the leading guys who knows about SSD technology and know exactly which controllers are the best and which to avoid.

[ Edited Thu Mar 01 2012, 02:18PM ]

How about a nice game of chess?
Altivo
Thu Mar 01 2012, 02:22PM
Registered Member #671
When the Ivy Bridge is coming?

and how much the Ivy bridge motherboard and cpu is going to cost? and what kind of specs?

@SSD card, i need atleast 1 to use for my core games.

Dist
Thu Mar 01 2012, 02:52PM
Registered Member #456
If you click that link to Wikipedia I posted and scroll down to where it lists desktop processors it gives you the recommend retail price (in $, so obviously you need to convert that to your currency and add any taxes/VAT).

Looking at the list the i7 ivy-bridge cores go from $294 to $332, the I5s listed right now as $184 to $205 but a lot of the models are not priced yet, and the i3s are also not priced.

Spec wise you really need to just look at the desktop processor table of that link as there is a huge range depending on what you want, like low wattage (and thus very low temps), high wattage (and thus speed/higher heat), and ones with more cores/thread etc.. all comes down to what you need. Keep in mind though that as it is 22nm it will run significantly cooler at higher speeds than current generation CPUs. so going for a low power/cool one isn't realy needed unless you want a quiet/passive setup.

Most of them are due for release on the 22nd of April. so a little over 7 weeks away.

Motherboard price I'm not sure about, but I'm guessing it won't be far off what current lga1155 boards are, maybe a little more expensive as they are new but not much.

[ Edited Thu Mar 01 2012, 02:54PM ]

Altivo
Thu Mar 01 2012, 03:03PM
Registered Member #671
but what about my current CPU and motherboard, arent they better. because my CPU cost around $800
and its LGA2011

I heard from some1 i need a better usage 850 is to low if you wanna OC the system.

because the GPU already use 250 watt/.

Hotwired
Thu Mar 01 2012, 03:14PM
Registered Member #627
Altivo wrote ...

but what about my current CPU and motherboard, arent they better. because my CPU cost around $800
and its LGA2011

I heard from some1 i need a better usage 850 is to low if you wanna OC the system.

Drives, motherboard etc use a handful of watts.

The energy hogging items are the CPU (yours at stock uses 130W max) and the GPU (at stock yours uses 180W max)

Your entire system while gaming is not even using 400W.

I use about 300W while gaming on my system which has been overclocked and I run it off a 650W power supply.

Your computer won't draw any more power or run any better with a larger power supply than needed, it just costs more.

It's always good to have a decent margin of wattage above what you NEED but you're not even using half your power supply capacity at stock.

And as for some facts

This is run by a benchmarking site [anandtech] using a system containing:

An Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.3GHz and various 7950 cards

Ain't even hitting 400W overclocked for the whole computer.

[ Edited Thu Mar 01 2012, 03:33PM ]
Altivo
Thu Mar 01 2012, 03:41PM
Registered Member #671
so the setup looks fine and its very good for end rig gaming OC?

Dist
Thu Mar 01 2012, 03:55PM
Registered Member #456
Altivo wrote ...

and its LGA2011

I7 3930k = 6 cores, 12 thread, 3.2GHz, 12MB L3, 130Watt TDP - release price $583
top ivy bridge I7 3770k = 4 cores, 8 threads, 3.5GHz 8MB L3, 77Watt TDP -release price $332

So basically the top ivy bridge has 2 less cores and 4 less threads (but realistically very few people will ever need that many threads, just too few games/programs designed for it) and has only 8MB L3 cache but runs 300MHz faster per core and runs a LOT cooler. For gaming where tons of threads isn't as important the new ivy bridge is an improvement.

You have to understand more expensive is not always better. in fact each time a smaller fabrication process is developed they can fit more cores onto each silicon wafer, meaning each wafer they produces more CPUs to sell and so although a new fab process has a huge initial expense due to construction and R&D, the price per CPU drops as it becomes much more cost effective.

If you want us to give you better advice, it will be helpful if you let us know exactly what it is you plan to use the machine for. For example if you do heavy video/picture editing, CAD, things like that typical of a workstation then your current CPU is good as more threads is much better for that. But for a purely gaming machine less threads but more speed and cooler is better.

In my opinion, them Items you listed in your first post are powerful, so if you already have them then just keep them. But if they were what you are planning on buying, then perhaps it is worth waiting

[ Edited Thu Mar 01 2012, 03:56PM ]

Altivo
Thu Mar 01 2012, 05:24PM
Registered Member #671
Dist wrote ...

Altivo wrote ...

and its LGA2011

I7 3930k = 6 cores, 12 thread, 3.2GHz, 12MB L3, 130Watt TDP - release price $583
top ivy bridge I7 3770k = 4 cores, 8 threads, 3.5GHz 8MB L3, 77Watt TDP -release price $332

So basically the top ivy bridge has 2 less cores and 4 less threads (but realistically very few people will ever need that many threads, just too few games/programs designed for it) and has only 8MB L3 cache but runs 300MHz faster per core and runs a LOT cooler. For gaming where tons of threads isn't as important the new ivy bridge is an improvement.

You have to understand more expensive is not always better. in fact each time a smaller fabrication process is developed they can fit more cores onto each silicon wafer, meaning each wafer they produces more CPUs to sell and so although a new fab process has a huge initial expense due to construction and R&D, the price per CPU drops as it becomes much more cost effective.

If you want us to give you better advice, it will be helpful if you let us know exactly what it is you plan to use the machine for. For example if you do heavy video/picture editing, CAD, things like that typical of a workstation then your current CPU is good as more threads is much better for that. But for a purely gaming machine less threads but more speed and cooler is better.

In my opinion, them Items you listed in your first post are powerful, so if you already have them then just keep them. But if they were what you are planning on buying, then perhaps it is worth waiting

so ur thing is the CPU isn't that good, its pure for gaming.
if i want a 4 core 8 threads, than i rather go for the same LGA2011 socket but than for the:

Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Retail, FC-LGA4, "Sandy Bridge E"

4x 3600 MHz CPU speed
4x 256 kB L2 Cache
10240 kB L3 Cache

this is only € 279,00 so € 240,00 cheaper than the I7 3930k and fasther than the ivy bridge

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF